We are available to answer questions about natural thin stone veneer and those related to making your next project turn out fabulous.
Benefits of using Stoneyard Natural Thin Stone Veneer
- Sawn pieces of stone 1 inch +/- 0.25″ thick
- Less than 15 lbs/sf
- Does not require a load bearing foundation
- Sticks directly to the structure’s wall
We start with large pieces of real stone gathered throughout Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine. We then sort the stone by size, shape and color. Experienced stone craftsman split and saw this natural material into Stone Veneer for use in your next architectural construction project. Thin Veneer allows natural stone to be used in applications that do not incorporate a concrete footing to support the weight of traditional full thickness masonry stone.
Thin veneer is often chosen for renovations on the siding of an existing wooden building, stone facing a fireplace, or to jazz up a concrete foundation with a stone façade.
Thin veneer stone is available in both “flats” and “corners” so that the finished product looks completely realistic — just as if full thickness stones were used — but with lower transportation costs and site construction expenses. (Imagine carrying 80% less weight up your staging!) This thin stone cladding (facing) can be applied over wood siding. The bonding agent, installed by a qualified mason, supports the weight of the stone, which is less than 15 lbs per square foot.
Our thin veneer stone is roughly 1 inch thick, and this allows your mason to safely recess the mortar joints an average of a quarter inch if the project calls for tightly jointed or mortar recessed masonry construction. See our installation instructions for more details, but one thing we always recommend is a moisture control system to prevent water damage to the substructure and to prevent efflorescence (white salt stains on the stone).
We saw our Thin Veneer from “regular” face sized building veneer.
Three face shapes are weathered: Mosaic, Square & Rectangular, and Round, and our two stacked stones feature the inside grain of the stone: Ledgestone and Ashlar.
More Reasons to Use Thin Stone Veneer
- About the same price per square foot as manufactured stone.
- Dramatically lower transportation costs than full thickness stone (Building Veneer).
- Pre-cut corners create the appearance of full thickness stone.
- Lower cost for field trimming and dressing.
- Installs the same way as man-made manufactured stone.
- Five unique face options to create “your” particular look.
- Weathered colors and/or inside grain colors.
- Suitable for facing concrete block or poured concrete for retaining wall construction or foundations.
- Suitable for putting stone on a wood structure.
- 1 inch thickness allows for recessed joints.
- Weight is less than 14 lbs per square foot which allows the product to be used in construction applications without a load bearing support.
Visit Our Stoneyard Showroom
Our showroom is open by appointment only and is located at 2 Spectacle Pond Road, Littleton, MA 01460
An experienced member of our sales team will answer questions and assist you in finding the perfect material for your project.