Questions by Category
All About Stone Veneer
- You don’t have any distributors out this way. What are my options?
- Is it possible to get get full depth (4″) real stone and the same stone cut thin for a veneer?
- Trying to decide on a color for your fireplace.
- Adding a Control Color to Boston Blend
- What You Need to Know About Stacked Stone Panels
- How do I calculate my stone footage?
- Does Stoneyard™ Thin Veneer come in panels or individual stones?
- How much does natural stone building veneer weigh?
- How much does natural stone thin veneer weigh?
- How does thin veneer differ from building veneer?
- How do I order samples of thin veneer?
- What are the ASTM specifications and physical properties of your stone?
- Can you blend or mix different colors or shapes of thin veneer?
- What is Stoneyard™ Boston Blend? Is it a specialized blend? Controlled blend?
- How is thin veneer packaged?
- Is Stoneyard Thin Veneer real stone?
- What books are available on working with stone and stone walls?
Installing Stone Veneer
- Hi, looking for help on the preferred installation method.
- Have a question regarding the drainage system behind a thin stone veneer?
- How do I determine the weight of a block of stone?
- What is the proper thickness of the Laticrete Air & Water Barrier?
- Can I add thin veneer to a painted foundation?
- Does ashlar thin veneer install tighter than ledge thin veneer?
- Can Natural Thin Veneer Be Used Outside?
- What is All Natural “Real” Stone Veneer?
- How to Create a Thin Stone Veneer Mockup
- How warm does it need to be to install Thin Veneer outside?
- Does the Thin Veneer need to be installed with a masonry shelf?
- Can thin veneer be installed on exterior applications?
- Do I need to point in between stones in a dry-laid application?
- What installation system do you recommend?
- What kind of blade/tool do I need to cut your stone?
- How do I cut Thin Veneer when trimming is necessary?
- How much waste/trimming is involved when installing thin veneer?
- How many square feet do thin veneer corners cover?
- Do I need corner pieces when installing thin veneer?
- How do I bond thin veneer stone to metal, such as a metal fireplace surround?
- What stone installation tools should I use for natural thin veneer?
- How do I install Thin Veneer?
- What is the size difference between natural stone Thin Veneer and Building Veneer?
U. S. Green Building Council
All About Stone Veneer Questions and Answers
You don’t have any distributors out this way. What are my options?
Hello, I am interested in one of your stone veneers, but I am in California and you don’t have any distributors out this way, west of your Colorado dealer. What are my options? First, you can talk to one of our sales staff to determine the correct quantity of stone before receiving a quote for
Is it possible to get get full depth (4″) real stone and the same stone cut thin for a veneer?
Yes, it is possible to get full-depth 4″ real stone and the same stone cut thin for a veneer. This allows for consistency in texture and color throughout your project while also providing flexibility in installation options. Full-depth stones are typically used for larger projects such as retaining walls or building facades where durability and
Trying to decide on a color for your fireplace.
Trying to decide on a color for our fireplace that will be built this spring….I was wondering if you would have any pictures of fireplaces done in Greenwich Gray in either ledge or ashlar or a mix, that you would be able to send me? You will find pictures of Greenwich Gray in ledge and
Adding a Control Color to Boston Blend
A customer writes… In your showroom you have a fireplace (see below), with a lot more tan colors than the Boston blend in the other samples. Is this random based on when you get the stone, up to the mason to pick and choose stones, or something else? If you would like your Boston Blend to
What You Need to Know About Stacked Stone Panels
Industry sales of stacked stone panels have been rising steadily each year for the last five years. While we cut and split individual natural thin stone from New England – all day every day – we see customers from every region of the country choosing stacked stone panels. Here are the pros and cons of these
Can you blend or mix different colors or shapes of thin veneer?
Yes by purchasing in increments of 5 sf or 168 sf. If you are ordering crates of Stoneyard® Boston Blend® Thin Veneer, for example, you can order an additional crate (168 sf) of Greenwich Grey or Colonial Tan to add more grey or tan to the mix to achieve the desired color blend.
What is Stoneyard™ Boston Blend? Is it a specialized blend? Controlled blend?
It is a generalized mix of dense quartzite conglomerate and granite natural stone found in New England. It is by far our most popular natural stone thin veneer. By using a blend of colors, it goes visually with many adjacent colors and is the perfect stone blend to choose if at some point in the
How is thin veneer packaged?
Stoneyard Thin Veneer Packaging for Flats and Corners Stoneyard® Flats are packaged in 168 square foot crates or 5 square foot boxes. Stoneyard® Corners are packaged in 150 linear foot crates, 75 linear foot crates, or 5 linear foot boxes. More information about how our products are shipped to your job site and estimated shipping
What books are available on working with stone and stone walls?
Yes, here are a few we recommend: “The Granite Kiss: Traditions and Techniques of Building New England Stone Walls” by Kevin Gardner, et al, available in book stores and at Amazon.com. “Ten Landscapes” Stephen Stimson Associates ISBN # 1-564-96-858-8 $25.00 Available at Amazon.com. See more book recommendations on our book page.
Installing Stone Veneer Questions and Answers
Hi, looking for help on the preferred installation method.
Hi, looking for help on the preferred installation method for my commercial stone veneer project. Rachel Hi, Happy to help. What kind of project are you working on and is it interior or exterior? Customer It is a commercial job, will eventually be a new bank branch. It is exterior – the product is the
Have a question regarding the drainage system behind a thin stone veneer?
I work for a GC and we’re installing this on the outside of a new bank we’re building. There are two methods of drainage behind the stone veneer – either a stick on vapor barrier or a cavity for water to drain through. I’m not sure if you will be able to help me with
How do I determine the weight of a block of stone?
The best way to accurately calculate the weight of a slab of stone is to use our Stone Weight Calculator. For estimating any natural stone project, use one of these stone calculators. Determining the weight of a block of stone is crucial in various industries. For instance, if you are working on a construction
Can I add thin veneer to a painted foundation?
A customer writes: “I’m hearing various answers from masons as to whether this product (Laticrete Hi-Bond) can be applied to a foundation that is painted.” The answer directly from Laticrete: The short answer is no it cannot. The paint would be acting as bond breaker. We only recommend installing stone with any of our adhesives
Does ashlar thin veneer install tighter than ledge thin veneer?
The “tighter” ashlar stone displayed in our showroom was in fact more carefully crafted for a dry-fit installation by our stonemason resulting in tighter joints. What we try to show in our showroom – beside the differences in stone types and colors – are the differences between installation techniques.
Can Natural Thin Veneer Be Used Outside?
Stoneyard Thin Veneer is a natural product, not man-made from concrete. The stone is at least one million years old, has been through countless freezes and thaws so there will be no problem with expansion and contraction, and will not fade. Unlike man-made faux stone, it is the same color throughout. The stone is cut and
What is All Natural “Real” Stone Veneer?
All natural stone veneer is “real” stone that has been split and sawn to be approximately one (1) inch thick. It is used as a wall covering for exterior and interior surfaces. Our Thin Veneer is crafted from natural stones that are native to New England. Stoneyard Thin Stone Veneer is perfect for interior or
How warm does it need to be to install Thin Veneer outside?
The temperature needs to remain at 40 degrees or higher for 72 hours to cure. We can recommend Laticrete Hi Bond Rapid which will speed up the cure time, but 72 hours is still advised. There is a simple rule to follow when the temperature is low during installation: The 18º (8 ºC) Rule –
Stone Walls Questions and Answers
U. S. Green Building Council Questions and Answers
What is Leed?
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System® The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System® encourages and accelerates global adoption of sustainable green building and development practices through the creation and implementation of universally understood and accepted tools and performance criteria. LEED is a third-party certification
Is New England Fieldstone a Green Building Material?
Stoneyard.com’s New England Fieldstone was created by Mother Nature, making it one of the greenest building products available. In addition, all of our stone comes from within a 75-mile radius of our Littleton, MA location, reducing the amount of shipping and thereby leaving a small carbon footprint. Gathering the stone does not damage the beautiful